Re: [ontolog-forum] physical context and mental context

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 13:21:09 -0400
Hi All,

Good discussion.  I'm reminded for the following that Ed Barkmeyer  wrote a while ago:

What makes written knowledge an "ontology" is that the language has a grammar and an interpretation of the grammatical constructs that is suitable for automated reasoning.  If most of the desired reasoning depends on your
interpretations of constructs you introduced, that can't happen unless
you build the engine.  Without that engine, you have an ox, not a bull.

HTH,              -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
Open Apps for Open Data
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Apps written in Executable Open Vocabulary English over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

Adrian Walker
Reengineering

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Apr 12, 2014, at 1:02 AM, Richard H. McCullough <rhmccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Today I accepted my responsibility as a Knowledge Engineer,
> I identified the mental context propositions.
> Forgive me if I sound like your teacher, it's just easier for me
> to express my ideas that way.
>
> Separating the physical context, dealing with metaphysics,
> which asks the question: What exists?, is fairly easy.
> My mKR version is
>    http://ContextKnowledgeSystems.org/physical.mkr.html
> There are "physical" labels everywhere, which can be removed
> if it's clear we are only concerned with the physical context.
>
> Next we come to the mental context, dealing with epistemology,
> which asks the question: How do we know?
> The first part of constructing a mental context is also easy.
> We have "mental" labels everywhere and
>         mental thing denotes physical thing;
> But you have to face up to the question of whether mental things
> are really physical when you look inside the mind.
> My answer is yes, so my mKR version
>     http://ContextKnowledgeSystems.org/mental.mkr.html
> contains subhierarchies like this:
>     physical entity:
>              /mental entity;
>                        //percept;
>                        //concept;
>                        //...
>             /mental characteristic;
>                        //...
>             /mental proposition;
>                         //...
>
> I think the two most significant things in the mental context are
>
>        Mind ::  mental existent isdef mental entity, mental characteristic, mental proposition;
>
> which is my literal definition of what a mind is, and
>
>        Mind Body Identity ::  me is I;
>
> where "I" is my physical self, and "me" is my mental self.
>
> I think I've got a reasonable mental context here.
> If you disagree, speak up.

I have no idea what I would be disagreeing with (or not). You still have not given your notation any semantics, so none of these displayed lines convey any content.

Pat

> Dick McCullough
> Context Knowledge Systems
> mKR/mKE tutorial

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                            (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes