Re: [ontolog-forum] Objectivist Context vs. Cognitive Science

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 12:27:16 -0400
On 4/11/2014 6:02 PM, Barkmeyer, Edward J wrote:
> What I said is that Cognitive Science comprises *elements of*
> these several disciplines (and I agree with the additions, certainly).
> But I don't believe that *all* of neuroscience, anthropology, and
> artificial intelligence, are *part of* 'cognitive science', just
> because they contribute importantly to it.  It is the "part of" that
> I objected to.  But maybe we just have different mereologies in mind.    (01)

In any case, I hadn't intended my two-line summary to be an official
definition of the field of cognitive science.  For that matter, there
are few (any?) universities that have a department of cognitive science.
Therefore, professors, students, and researchers in Cog. sci. come from
other fields.  That makes boundaries very hard to find or draw.    (02)

AI is another interdisciplinary field whose boundaries shift with
every fad, innovation, application, and source of funding.  Why draw
sharp boundaries between fields with vague boundaries?    (03)

Sometimes, the main reason for stating official definitions is to
create an excuse for denying funding.  A friend of mine was a tenured
professor of comparative literature.  Then the university decided to
eliminate that department.  End of department, end of tenure.    (04)