Re: [ontolog-forum] Objectivist Context vs. Cognitive Science

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: KR-language <kr-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Richard S. Latimer" <rslatimer@xxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 14:47:41 +0000
John,    (01)

You wrote:
> Any branch of science, engineering, or philosophy that addresses aspects of
>cognition is part of cognitive science.    (02)

I think most practitioners of all those trades would disagree with that.
'Cognitive science' is a particular discipline.  It involves the selection and
integration of concepts from neuroscience (and other biophysical and
biochemical sciences), psychology, linguistics, and possibly philosophy, in
attempting to understand the workings of brains, particularly human ones.
Cognitive science, like all science, is analytical in nature.  Psychology,,
psychiatry, neuromedicine, biophysical engineering and knowledge engineering
are "engineering" disciplines that are in part applications of cognitive
sciences.  Engineering disciplines are all partly analytical (as applications
of sciences) and, most importantly, partly synthetic.  The seek to know the
world in order to *change* it.      (03)

[That said, the creation of a major source of funding for research in
"cognitive science" may well cause many researchers in all these related fields
to repaint their roses and broaden the term to cover what *they* do.
Government funding for research in a topic area can destroy the meaning of the
topic term in an afternoon.  But we don't have to help them do it.]    (04)

-Ed    (05)