Re: [ontolog-forum] Objectivist Context vs. Cognitive Science

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:44:28 -0400
Ed,    (01)

JFS
>> Any branch of science, engineering, or philosophy that addresses aspects
>> of cognition is part of cognitive science.    (02)

EJB
> I think most practitioners of all those trades would disagree with that.
> 'Cognitive science' is a particular discipline.    (03)

First paragraph of the home page of the Cognitive Science Society:
> The Cognitive Science Society, Inc. brings together researchers from many
> fields who hold a common goal: understanding the nature of the human mind.
> The Society promotes scientific interchange among researchers in disciplines
> comprising the field of Cognitive Science, including Artificial Intelligence,
> Linguistics, Anthropology, Psychology, Neuroscience, Philosophy, and
>Education.    (04)

Source: http://www.cognitivesciencesociety.org/index.html    (05)

I believe that my summary is compatible with the CSS paragraph.    (06)

The following hexagram shows the six founding fields of the CSS:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Cognitive_Science_Hexagon.svg/375px-Cognitive_Science_Hexagon.svg.png    (07)

George Miller drew that diagram.  He is a psychologist who has
collaborated with linguists, lexicographers, philosophers, and
the AI crowd for years.  Among many other activities, he is
one of the founders of the CSS *and* the founder of the WordNet
project, which could be considered a kind of lexicographic
engineering.    (08)

For a couple of years, I taught some courses in the PACCS program
(Philosophy And Computers and Cognitive Science) at SUNY Binghamton.
PACCS is pronounced /pax/, but it broke up because of administrative
wars about who controlled what.    (09)