Re: [ontolog-forum] Objectivist Context vs. Cognitive Science

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:12:42 +0000

Gary,

Sigh.  I said that I didn’t mean biosciences when I referred to the “workings of brains”.  I meant “any aspect of ‘thinking’”, which is the work that brains do.  The bioscientists look at the problem of cognition from a very different viewpoint from that of philosophers and linguists and psychologists.  But they are all about HOW people think, just different versions of “how”.  But if for you the ‘working of brains’ is only the subject of neuroscience, I won’t use the term.  John didn’t really mean ‘part of’ and I didn’t really mean ‘workings’.  (I should have known better.  We are now on email #4 of explaining a contribution of little value in the first place.)

Let me rephrase my contention:  I do not believe that you can study cognition without tying phenomena to thinking.  Duh!  J

-Ed