[ontolog-forum] Crossmodal sensory experiences provide feedback

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 11:43:04 -0800

I found an article that should be interesting to ontologists who are looking at the ways in which the various senses provide feedback loops that activate (or deactivate) other senses.  That article is at:

http://www.the-scientist.com//?articles.view/articleNo/38942/title/Feeling-Is-Believing/

Although this article deals with proprioceptive feedback, we should expect the same sorts of feedback in both language and logic:

“There are examples where stimulating one sense changes what you experience in another sense,” says experimental psychologist Charles Spence, director of the Crossmodal Research Laboratory at the University of Oxford, who was not involved in the research. “This is a stronger example of that—doing something in one sense conjures up something out of nowhere in another sense.”

Do word meanings (“senses” in a sense) provide the same kind of feedback?

Do assertions bias our viewpoints so as to enhance confirmation bias so that we experience only beliefs that are consistent with the said assertions?

If anyone has other relevant articles on similar situations in language and logic, please post them.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com