Re: [ontolog-forum] What the difference re., Data Dictionary, Ontology,

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Frank Guerino <Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 19:12:01 -0500
Hi Rich,

It was something I had from a number of years ago that was never fully vetted, so I'm more than happy to improve it in any way that makes sense.

My Best,

Frank

From: Rich Cooper <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:45 PM
To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] What the difference re., Data Dictionary, Ontology, and Vocabulary?

Dear Frank,

Thanks for a well thought through set of definitions we can discuss and debate.  It’s a great beginning, but I have a quibble about one item, specifically:

A Grammar is a means of applying rules to create meaning.

Grammars don’t create meaning, they create syntax.

Your related statement:

Syntax is a set of rules for structuring elements, such as words and symbols within a grammar.

is correct, and more accurate, in that it doesn’t mention the word “meaning”.  The only source of meaning is a human (or other subjective being) which bases meaning on that human’s stored experiences, emotions, values and goals.  Said experiences, emotions values and goals are unique to that human.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com