Re: [ontolog-forum] What the difference re., Data Dictionary, Ontology,

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Frank Guerino <Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:56:55 -0500
Hi Ken,

I think Rich Cooper's feedback caused me to go back and do some research.  Along with some minor changes to their definitions, I would flip Syntax and Grammar.  The results would look like:

Data Dictionary defines "data" by giving you details about that data element (e.g. Attribute/Field Name, Description, Data Type, Constraints, etc.)

A Term is a word that is accompanied by a Definition.

Vocabulary is usually a listing or grouping of words that are common a domain of context (usually without definition).

Glossary is a more detailed Vocabulary that is tied to a specific and limited Context.  Unlike a Vocabulary that only provides a list or grouping of words or terms that are common to a context, a Glossary provides the long name, short name or acronym, and a description/definition.  It rarely gets into a things like synonyms and antonyms.

Dictionary is often used interchangeably with a Glossary but is often considered to handle much more, like getting into phonetics, derivations, etc.

Data Model is a representation of how to aggregate and interrelate Data, which is defined by a Data Dictionary.  This includes but is not limited to things like Primary and Foreign Key representations, how to deal with permutations, time, history, and much more.

Taxonomy is a categorization of "anything"… Words, Glossaries, Types, etc.  Taxonomies can take on multiple forms, such as lists, hierarchies, interactive facets, etc.

Syntax is a set of rules for structuring elements, such as words and symbols to create things like phrases, sentences, and paragraphs.

Grammar is a means of defining how words are used to create meaning, within a Language.

Language is the inclusion of all of the above.

An Ontology is the development of a combination of one or more of all of the above with the intent to facilitate higher order activities, such as communications, translation, learning, understanding, teaching, and making decisions.

Note, I also added the definition of "Term", above.  To become even more complete, I believe the above would also have to address things like Words, Phrases, Sentences, Paragraphs, etc.

My Best,

Frank