Re: [ontolog-forum] fitness of XML for ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 18:51:40 -0600
Hi Kingsley,    (01)

On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 13:19 -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 2/8/14 12:32 AM, Paul Tyson wrote:
> > "-- It is a data base language for text.
>
> That's the crux of the matter! A database is a document comprised of
> structured data. It isn't a database management system i.e., an
> application that provides services such as: storage, indexing,
> declarative query access etc..    (02)

I suppose you meant to say in the 2nd sentence: "An XML instance
is ...", followed by "It isn't a database management system....".    (03)

True. Goldfarb wasn't saying that, and neither would I.    (04)

> XML is fine as mechanism for marking up structured data in a document.
> The utility of this process isn't optimal if the endeavor requires
> entity relationships and relation semantics to be discernible and
> comprehensible to human authors and readers.    (05)

You lost me here. If you have the identifiers of 2 entities and a
relation between them, there are any number of ways you can put the
identifiers into a character stream that can be deciphered to indicate
the relationship. An XML notation would be the most generally useful,
but, as has been repeatedly noted, may not be preferred for ephemeral
applications.    (06)

I've been trying to avoid any suggestion that XML "has semantics" in and
of itself. On the contrary, by doing little it enables much, as
illustrated by Goldfarb's list of characteristics and capabilities.    (07)

Regards,
--Paul    (08)