Re: [ontolog-forum] LInked Data meme revisited

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 08:20:01 -0500
Rich -

On Dec 09, 2013, at 8:53 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:

That addresses David Eddy's concern about how
people (and programmers really are people) use
words in documenting what they do, produce, or
experience.

Thank you for remembering my rants on this issue.  I'm flattered.

Please though to understand that while I typically describe my issue in terms of programming tasks, this "naming standards" challenge is not at all confined to just programmers (after all, other than 3rd shift, blue collar operators, programmers are pretty much bottom of the pile).

In my own mind, each & every layer of the SDLC—software development life cycle, which is more aptly P(roduct)DLC, I(dea)DLC—has it's own unique impact on language.  To ignore multiple layers of complexity, while the CEO could be comfortable to speak or read "customer account number", elsewhere that plain English will of necessity or perversion need to be custAcctNo (and CUST-ACT-NO and cust_acct_nbr, etc.).

From CEO to mail room clerk, everyone brings different language, understanding, life experiences & motivations to the table.

The top dog, CEO, denizens of mahogany row, Four Stars, or chief poobas can no more tell the mail room clerk what words & meanings to use than the mail room clerk can tell the CEO.

Didn't work for the Babylonians.

Certainly has not worked in the eye blink I've been directly interested over the past 33 years & from what I've seen has not been cracked since Arlington Hall became involved.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlington_Hall

That is also my concern, but I
consider that dictionary of words to URIs to be a
personal, individual user suite of preferences for
words represented lexically.  I don't think it
will be feasible in the next decade to find a
universal dictionary.  The best I expect is an
editable dictionary which can be copied and edited
by any user.

Just wish I had money to research what mutant gene in the human brain believes—as clearly plenty of people do believe—that there can be a "universal dictionary."

"Editable dictionary"... most certainly but with significant caveats.  First we'll need someone to clear the room of the bodies of the lexicographers & taxonomists who've died from apoplexy at the mere whisper of heathens entering the temple with their chaotic disregard for the purity of language.

That's a great thought... I'll try to post a poll on Linkedin forum... "Is a Universal Dictionary possible?"  Yes.  No.  Discuss.  Of course, I should also ask: "Is a Universal Dictionary desirable?"

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx