Re: [ontolog-forum] API4KB and diverse ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:28:03 -0400
Ed,    (01)

Much of this disagreement is caused by the delays of email.
In a face-to-face discussion, minor points are quickly resolved,
but in email, they can get dragged out in email about issues
on which there is no real disagreement.    (02)

> IT standards bodies, John, are no longer about standardizing common
> practices in industry, if they ever were.  The purpose of some of them
> is to enable a research technology to be used under industrial rules;
> the purpose of others is to prevent certain large firms from controlling
> a market with a proprietary de facto standard, especially when it is
> a hyped but shaky technology.    (03)

Of course.  I would've instantly agreed if we were talking directly.    (04)

> Finally, the purpose of some 'research standards' is to prevent the
> production of 5 such standards for essentially the same thing.    (05)

Things like that aren't research.  They're variations of well understood
technology.  The kind of research I was talking about is the kind where
there are no working implementations -- not even prototypes.    (06)

> would that aptly characterize RDF, OWL, SPARQL and Common Logic
> when they were standardized?  And perhaps SQL as well?    (07)

RDF, OWL, SPARQL, and CL were variants of things that had been
implemented many times over during the past 40 years.  I wouldn't
consider any of them to be research.  SQL was novel, but it had
been implemented by IBM and Oracle before it was submitted as
a standard.    (08)

JFS
>> But we have *zero* examples of independently developed systems of these
>> four kinds that have successfully extracted their implicit ontology
>> and shared it a form that could be used by the others.    (09)

EB
> Who is "we"?  As my father-in-law used to say, I wouldn't want to mention
> any names, but their initials are "TopQuadrant" and "CambridgeSoftware"
> and "Thematix"...    (010)

This is another misunderstanding that wouldn't occur if we had been
talking in the same room.  The 2012 API4KB slides looked as if they were
touching on research areas for which there are *ZERO* implementations
of any kind.  But you're citing companies that have implemented
technology that I would classify as "routine" -- not research.    (011)

I tried to click on the URLs for more detail about API4KB beyond the
2012 and 2013 slides.  But I was blocked by their stupid passwords.    (012)

But from what you're saying, I suspect that what API4KB is doing would
not even have been necessary if the W3C had made a rational decision
back in 2003.  That is when Hayes & Guha presented the LBase semantics
for RDF and OWL.  What H & G wrote was *exactly* consistent with
Tim B-L's proposal for SWeLL (Semantic Web Logic Language).  Pat chose
a subset of the CL model theory as the foundation for LBase.    (013)

If the W3C had voted to accept LBase in 2003, the SW would have had
ten years of experience in developing and using APIs that relate
all the SW languages to all the dialects of CL.    (014)

John    (015)

PS:  Following is a copy of the note I sent in response to Elisa.
As it shows, I was thinking that API4KB was attempting to address
something much more complex.    (016)