Re: [ontolog-forum] API4KB and diverse ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Elisa Kendall <ekendall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 12:05:11 -0700
Hi Ray,

In API4KBs, our requirements include a broader range of interfaces (e.g., enterprise service bus), with targets that may include, but are not focused on CMS systems.  We have been reviewing what they did, and continue to be informed by it, but concluded that it didn't cover our use cases.   One possible outcome is that we may suggest extensions to their work to provide a compliant implementation, if they are open to that, when the time comes.

For example, one of the primary use cases for our work is to replace some of the underpinnings of the CTS2 2 set of standards from the OMG with more general purpose interfaces.  CTS 2 is publically available on the OMG site, although I'm not sure if recent updates have been posted yet.  The CTS 2 effort represents joint work between HL7 and the OMG, and provides terminology services for healthcare, largely developed at the Mayo Clinic but with other participants as well.  The architecture has been in place for many years, although the standard has only been available in the last couple of years from the OMG.

Architectures that are motivating our work include not only CTS 2 and its predecessors, but the Reaction RuleML effort, which has been well tested with commercial rule systems and other applications such as analytics, but without any description logics reasoning in the loop.  We have also gone back to the FIPA work, and especially their ACL language approach, to facilitate looser coupling, as our goal is to create more of a framework than tightly coupled interfaces, with specific implementations to support a couple of key use cases and provide a reference for others.

I hope this provides a bit more clarity,

Elisa