Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:50:43 -0700

I've proposed how "idea" and "meme" fit together, and formulated a data model.

Maybe my proposal was a bit more concrete than what people on this forum normally want?

thanks - john

On 25.04.2013 10:39, John Bottoms wrote: <snip/>

Are we to assume that those who use the term "meme" are  fadish, overly
poetic or oafish? My approach is to reserve opinion on this issue and
focus on the use of the term. I do see merit in Dennett's analogy to
viruses. His metaphor does overlap with "popularity", which does not
capture the full effect of "meme". I give the group an adequate, passing
grade in Ontology101 in this case. In my view we still have a lot to do
in the development of the ontological practice.