Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Michael Hopwood <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kathryn Blackmond Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 22:29:33 -0400
1. Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor, "In the scientific
method, parsimony is an epistemological, metaphysical or heuristic preference,
not an irrefutable principle of logic or a scientific result."    (01)

It is certainly metaphysically justifiable to prefer a theory that explains the
observed evidence without making use of a supreme deity.  However, parsimony
does not constitute scientific proof.    (02)

2. Your argument presupposes that "God" means "supreme being who makes
supernatural things happen."  While this is (at least in part) what some people
mean by God, it is by no means a universal view.  I know many people -- some of
them clergy -- who believe in God, but do not believe miracles happen.      (03)

On Apr 25, 2013, at 12:39 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:    (04)