Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:21:02 -0400
Nice pun!    (01)

It is my (possibly erroneous) recollection that the Gospel of St. John was
originally written in Aramaic.  So he probably didn't use "logos".  I assume
that that  translation into Greek appeared in the 3rd or 4th century.  The
reason John the Sowa uses "logos" is the ambiguity in classical Greek -- "word"
or "thought"/"concept".  I can't say whether the Aramaic term used by John the
Evangelist had the same ambiguity.      (02)

Further, that passage (John 1:1-2) is often cited as a basis for the Divinity
of Jesus -- the logos was WITH God, and the logos WAS God.  I have always
understood this to be more like Athena springing from the head of Zeus -- a
concept made directly incarnate.  This is where the 4th century Nicene Creed
gets "begotten, not made, one in being with the Father, by whom all things were
made" ("genitum, non factum, consubstantialem Patri, per quem omnia facta
sunt").  So I'm a little hesitant to agree with John's interpretation of the
scriptures.  I do strongly agree to leave this kind of thing to the theo-logos
experts.    (03)

-Ed    (04)

P.S.  Note, however, that I picked on a philo-logos issue (which by analogy
should be "the concepts of love", but is actually "the affection for words).
Language is fickle.   ;-)    (05)