Re: [ontolog-forum] Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:25:19 -0800

Dear John,    (01)

As I said to Doug:    (02)

> My comments regarding the brain map project were made after reading only the
>hyperbole of the NY Times and PBS reporting of the case for the project. Since
>then The Economist has reported the case for the project differently,
>emphasizing that the project's goals as an anatomy project without claims
>concerning intelligence and "the mind."
>
> When presented in this way - consistent with your argument - I have no
>objection to it.    (03)

My objection is primarily to the hyperbole that appears in the John Markoff
article that appeared in the New York Times. along with everything that
followed from it in, primarily, the technology press. When considered as an
anatomy project it has merit, although little that is sufficiently compelling
to warrant the proposed effort in my view.    (04)

Best regards,
Steven    (05)

--
Steven Ericsson-Zenith
Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering

On Feb 27, 2013, at 9:39 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (07)