Re: [ontolog-forum] Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:07:52 -0500

I will waste everyone’s time contributing my two cents to this.

First, I think the famous Whorf hypothesis is just one position on a chicken-egg problem.  How one views the world is a product of social background, education and experience.  Language is intimately bound up with all of these, but not clearly fundamental to any of them.  The ignorant insist on putting everything in their fixed set of experience boxes, for which they have words; primitive peoples have a “divinity” box for everything they don’t understand.  The better educated usually recognize things and situations for which they don’t have an existing box.  They still have to use existing language to explain the newly perceived phenomenon to others.  So language limits your ability to express your mental take on your experiences, but that doesn’t mean that your “mental take” is what you are able to say

It is my experience in speaking natural languages that the _expression_ of a thought comes out in a form suitable to the language I am speaking, and it may be very different from the _expression_ I would have used in English.  Even worse, I have found myself coming to a stop when I don’t know the foreign word, and consciously shifting mental gears to think what the English word is.  A professional simultaneous translator said what she does is repeat what she hears, and the skill is not allowing the incoming language to confuse her speech.  So, I think the mind does some kind of translation from concept to _expression_ as needed, but the concept itself is separated from language, regardless of how the concept was originally formed.  (Confirming Pat Hayes’ observations.)

Second, programming languages differ in the kinds of solution formulations they were intended to support, and in the underlying execution model.  FORTRAN was intended to facilitate mathematical programming in a procedural way; APL was intended to facilitate mathematical programming in an applicative (functional) way.  Those are different execution models.  C was originally intended to be a language for less arcane _expression_ of a solution using the native capabilities of digital computers, which have always been inherently procedural.  COBOL was intended to specify relatively simple processing of data records, also in a procedural way, because that is how business people describe processes.  LISP is primarily a functional language, the execution model is not procedural; it is designed for more general information stream processing, and it is not very good for either mathematics or record processing.  Other languages are event-driven (like finite-state automata languages) or data-driven (like XSLT or SNOBOL) or have some complex execution model (like rules engines and Prolog).

Engineers design solutions for a given problem using what education they have.  A software engineer who has only seen procedural languages only has a set of screwdrivers in his toolbox.  The language only affects his thinking in that it is a means of expressing the only execution models he understands, and the only data concepts he understands.  He was only taught those concepts, and the language that goes with them.  In a similar way, we have seen mechanical engineers design Rube Goldberg devices for problems that can be solved by simple electrical circuits.  So please don’t blame the language for the lack of wider education and experience.  “Thinking in FORTRAN” means “not understanding any more general engineering approaches”.

-Ed

--

Edward J. Barkmeyer                     Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx

Systems Integration Division

100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8263             Work:   +1 301-975-3528

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263             Mobile: +1 240-672-5800

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."