Re: [ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:38:20 -0500
On 2/22/13 12:39 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> On 2/22/2013 11:42 AM, Mike Bennett wrote:
>> The financial industry has lots of standards for messaging, and some
>> at the level of common logical data models, but the requirements for
>> integration within financial firms has led to an increasing realisation
>> that what's really needed is common semantics...
> Common ontology can certainly be a big help for enabling two firms,
> A and B, to interoperate.  But independently developed systems that
> use the same ontology are likely to have different *physical* formats
> and different *human* conventions for the people who use and operate
> the computer systems.
>
> If bank A buys bank B, the merged bank continues to run the software
> and databases of bank A and B separately.  Even when they say that
> they merged the two databases, they are really running them as if
> they were still separate.
>
> If and when they want to shut down the old programs, they persuade
> (or force) customers from bank B to close the old accounts, open
> new accounts in the formats of A, and transfer the funds from
> the old accounts to the new accounts.
>
> John
>
>    (01)

Yes!    (02)

This is a great example of the typical problem. A problem that's
intrinsic to our use of computer technology.    (03)

Ultimately, decision makers have to deal with:    (04)

1. Rip and Replace
2. Maximum incorporation of what's new with minimal disruption to what
exists -- i.e.,  incorporating newer technology in a manner that doesn't
disrupt what exists, to the degree possible.    (05)

Sadly, monolithic applications too often dominate the focal points of
decision makers and developers. It's so bad that individuals and
enterprises are (today) purchasing computing devices en masse for which
(as owners) they don't even posses 'root' privileges.    (06)

Saddest of all, programmers now totally dominate dialog about computing.
What happened to systems analysts, database designers, ontologists etc?    (07)

I believe applications are like fish and data like wine. The world (in
the majority) still doesn't understand what data actually is, let alone
the fundamental implications of such dangerous ignorance :-(    (08)

Regards,    (010)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software