Re: [ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:30:58 -0500

Ed, Kingsley:

Regarding the issue of tablets and phones for which the user does not have root access privileges, it is indeed a collision of business models, but not just between the “owner” of the phone and the phone/tablet service provider. It is also a collision between business model of the phone service provider and that of the enterprise for whom the phone “owner” works, which for traditional PC/Laptops (and some smart phones) used to provide the root access and associated admin/configuration services. There is also a collision between the phone “owner’s” notion of privacy and personal “information space”, and that of the enterprise he/she might work for, as well as that of the phone service provider(s)’ cloud services.  The issue here is that the phone is viewed by the “owner” as more of a personal agent that a company provided “tool” – even if the phone is provided by the company. In a very real sense, the phone/tablet, serves as owner’s agent/representative on the “network”, even when the owner is not actually interacting with the phone. And the owner may keep information on that phone/tablet related to his/her enterprise responsibilities, but not necessarily subject to/compliant with any enterprise information standards. It may also contain access control information for access to external information/service providers such as Gmail, Amazon, and Facebook. This raises the issue of how best to “interoperate” between a user’s personal device (and personal “enterprise” boundary), and the enterprise boundaries of his/her employer, phone service provider, and other network accessible enterprises with which that phone owner has a relationship.

Hans