Re: [ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:08:02 -0000

Dear David,

For ontology, that implies that any new ontology must be
able to interoperate with the implicit ontology of the legacy code.

And since pretty much by definition there is NO ontology for the legacy systems.

We'd be EXTREMELY lucky if there were reasonably consistent naming conventions (but don't plan on it).

Unless, of course, there's some magic that can extract usable ontologies from existing systems in a week or so.

MW: Actually that is pretty much what the Boro methodology Chris was talking about does.

But I'm pretty sure such practical reverse engineering is of minimal interest to the Ontology world.

MW: If that were true, why would we have run a session on Methodologies for developing integrating ontologies? In fact it is easily the largest practical use of ontologies in industry.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 1489 880185

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

This week I've seen what appeared to be a promising corporate glossary.  On first use with 5 terms which were not found... oops!  That's one prospect who's never going to return.  And this was just a simple glossary.

- David