Re: [ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:47:31 -0500
On 2/16/13 9:37 AM, Matthew West wrote:
> MW: The whole purpose of an integrating ontology is to be able to leave the
> legacy systems alone, but bring together their data in a uniform environment
> so that data can be analysed across multiple applications.    (01)

Yes!    (02)

I usually refer to this as data virtualization driven by a conceptual
schema. In many ways, this is what John has always pushed too, but from
time to time subtleties are overlooked. Yes, you want' to enable folks
take advantage of contemporary and future technology advances while
minimizing disruption (if any) to legacy systems.    (03)

In my experience, our industry conjures up new reasons, every
generation, to drive the complete opposite of what's espoused above. Too
often, the message is simply "rip and replace" because the benefits of
the new utterly exceed the costs of the old -- which is an utter fallacy
known to any IT decision maker with a modicum of experience.    (04)

Regards,    (06)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software