Re: [ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 00:59:48 -0500
> JFS
>>> In fact, Doug Lenat said that his standard practice is to give
>>> all prospective hires a short exam of a few sentences in English,
>>> which they have to translate to FOL.  There are no ambiguous or
>>> tricky sentences, and they don't go beyond FOL.    (01)

> AV
>> I don't know whether Doug Lenat ever said that, but it is false.    (02)

> That's what Doug told me at one point, and I just repeated it.    (03)

I think that this is the game of telephone.  Doug's test is to frame the
sentence into *some* logical formalism that expresses what the sentence
expresses.  The requirement is not to express it in *FOL*.  Very few of us
actually remember word for word discussions that we had years ago
(unless there is a strong reason to remember that part of the conversation
exactly).   My guess is that Doug referred to a logical formalism & that
John's understanding was that FOL was meant.    (04)

The meaning of the sentence given depends not only on the exact words
provided, but on common knowledge about what is being described.
Issues involved involve the testee understanding that and describing
why s/he selected certain logical meaning(s) to encode.  Pointing out
additional information that would be useful to encode in addition to
that explicitly represented in the sentence is useful, but i don't know
how much that is expected.  It seems that the testee is prompted for
that if s/he does not volunteer it.    (05)

As Amanda said, the point of the test is to understand how the prospective
employee reasons, not how well s/he can encode English into FOL.    (06)

-- doug f    (07)