Re: [ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 23:03:33 -0500
OK.  Full circle.  To John an "ontology" is what somebody had in his head when
he wrote the legacy software.
I thought we had agreed sometime back that FOR THIS FORUM, we need a stricter
definition of 'ontology' that relates to explicitly engineering knowledge in a
formal language that can support inference.
Now, John may believe that there are 'ontologies' written in COBOL, but I do
not find it productive to this community to agree.    (01)

As David said, the legacy system will not have an 'ontology' with which any
formal 'ontology' could reasonably 'interoperate'.
The legacy system will include the encoding of a great many knowledge elements
and operating rules in data-centric terms.  For the most part, "interoperation"
between an ontology-based application and the legacy information system will be
a matter of converting the information in the legacy system to a form useful to
the technology used in the new system.  The real problem lies in determining
how to perform that step correctly, based on whatever documentation, clues, and
expert knowledge are available.    (02)

-Ed    (03)

--
Edward J. Barkmeyer                       Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx
Engineering Laboratory -- Systems Integration Division