Re: [ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 18:39:39 -0500
Ed,    (01)

The following definition is about as neutral and non-controversial as
you can get.  All other definitions of 'ontology' are special cases.    (02)

JFS, as derived from definitions in the Free Merriam-Webster online:
>> a particular analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
>> about the nature of being or the kinds of things that have existence    (03)

EJB
> If this were the definition we use in the Ontolog Forum, I would
> unsubscribe immediately.    (04)

I cannot see why you or anybody else would object to it as a general
statement that subsumes all the definitions anyone has proposed.    (05)

JFS
>> To specialize this definition for computer applications, delete the
>> option "the nature of being" and add "in some domain of application":
>>> a particular analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
>>> about the kinds of things that have existence in some domain of application    (06)

EJB
> So now we are not using the dictionary definition, and we are assigning
> a very different semantic interpretation to "kinds of things that have
>existence".    (07)

This is just a specialization of the general definition.  There are
only two differences:  (1) delete the option "the nature of existence",
which is more philosophical than computational, and (2) add the point
that it is specialized for a particular application domain.    (08)

In this forum, we have been talking about ontologies for particular
domains for years.  I don't know what you object to.    (09)

JFS
>> Note that neither the OED nor Merriam-Webster's nor the long tradition
>> in philosophy require theories to be stated in formal logic.    (010)

EJB
> So, the idea that "computational ontology" is based on "formal logic"
> is not a part of your conceptualization of "computational ontologies".    (011)

I've been teaching logic for many years, and I know very well that
most programmers don't know how to express themselves in logic.    (012)

In fact, Doug Lenat said that his standard practice is to give
all prospective hires a short exam of a few sentences in English,
which they have to translate to FOL.  There are no ambiguous or
tricky sentences, and they don't go beyond FOL.    (013)

One prospective hire was a professor of logic.  Doug apologized
for giving him such a trivial exam.  But the professor flunked.
He explained "that's not what we teach our students."    (014)

Unfortunately, he was right.    (015)