Re: [ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 17:59:52 -0800

These are important issues and examples are ready at hand.     (01)

Simple examples: the source Latex of my doctoral work (1992) evaporated from my
own magnetic tapes and those at the school fated toward a similar end. I, of
course, relied upon the postscript version to maintain continuity, leaving me
with a readable format problem. I was recently offered documents and code I and
others had written in the 1980s to be offered to the Computer History Museum …
to be told the materials were secured (sic) on magnetic disks.    (02)

The problem is systemic.    (03)

The majority of application code written in the past 40 years simply cannot be
rescued and moved to modern multicore architectures - where it will get no
faster going forward and probably will run slower than before. This is in large
part because the programs cannot be automatically translated to these
architectures. So what will we do? We'll propagate obsolete and inefficient
technology simply because their is a market for it.    (04)

The good news is that most of the useful algorithms have found their way into
print.    (05)

So at some point it will pay to go back and do it over - if for competitive
reasons alone - but, again, the cost to "do it right" will be deferred in favor
of the cost to do it quickly and cheaply, deferring and increasing critical
costs to the poorly considered future.     (06)

The bad news is that software engineering has yet to become a mature
engineering profession. One that includes the practical long term engineering
skills of an "antique draftsman."    (07)

Regards,
Steven    (08)

--
Steven Ericsson-Zenith
Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering

On Feb 15, 2013, at 3:55 PM, "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:    (010)