Re: [ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 16:56:35 -0600
On Fri, 2013-02-15 at 13:44 -0500, John F Sowa wrote:
> In a conference call for the forthcoming Ontology Summit, Barry Smith,
> Chris Partridge, Anatoly Levenchuk, and Mike Bennett presented four
> thoughtful and well organized talks.  Following is the summary with
> pointers to the slides and the audio recordings:
>
>     http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_02_07
>
> On the whole, the presentations were good.  But none of them mentioned
> four *extremely* important points:
>
>   1. Trillions of dollars have been invested in legacy software that
>      runs the world economy.
>
>   2. That software will not be replaced for a long, long time.  In past
>      experience, the lifetime of a large, mission-critical system can be
>      40 years or more.  Its replacements must interoperate with it in
>      as smooth a transition as possible.
>
>   3. Every attempt to replace a critical, working system with a new
>      one that could not interoperate during the transition has failed.
>      The greater the discontinuity, the greater the ensuing disaster.
>
>   4. Every successful introduction of new technology interoperates with
>      the interfaces, infrastructure, and conventions of the old system
>      during an extended, incremental, and evolutionary transition.
>      The duration of that transition is usually *decades*, not years.
>     (01)

That's part of the story. I would add 2 points:    (02)

5. The mother of all system disasters happened nearly 50 years ago when
the IBM suits and their ilk commandeered the vision of early personal
computing pioneers who wanted to augment communication and cognitive
activities, and gave us instead a poor imitation of paper and pencil on
a cathode ray tube. I heard Doug Engelbart speak at the Computer History
Museum about an early demo he gave of advanced hypertext creation and
navigation, but the IBM execs were only interested in improving the
productivity of their customers' typing pools. Their idea of
interoperability was "make it the best electric typewriter ever". I
don't know the history of computer graphics applications, but something
similar must have happened--the early developers looked at draftsmen
putting lines and curves on mylar and decided to write a program to put
lines and curves on a CRT. It's taken several generations of graphics
software (each having to "interoperate" with the previous generation) to
really begin to augment the engineer's primary goal of communicating
design intent--and some people still don't believe that's possible
without honoring the conventions of antique draftsmanship. So, be
careful how you interpret the mandate to "interoperate": sure, horseless
carriages had to use the same roads and fit through the same passages as
horsed ones did; but at the same time they shed many of the constraints
of horsepower transportation, and brought on new problems requiring new
solutions.    (03)

6. The software vendor-consultant complex plays a large role in inducing
suboptimal system design and deployment. More people (outside the
enterprise) profit from a botched implementation than from an efficient
one. And regardless of system benefits or performance, software vendors
are eager to extend vendor lock-in through proprietary formats and
closed systems.    (04)

In general I am sympathetic with John's principles regarding ontology
development, and agree with his recommendations. I might have a slightly
different view of how we got in this mess and specific directions to
take out of it.    (05)

Regards,
--Paul    (06)