[ontolog-forum] Architectural considerations in Ontology Development

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 13:44:09 -0500
In a conference call for the forthcoming Ontology Summit, Barry Smith,
Chris Partridge, Anatoly Levenchuk, and Mike Bennett presented four
thoughtful and well organized talks.  Following is the summary with
pointers to the slides and the audio recordings:    (01)

    http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_02_07    (02)

On the whole, the presentations were good.  But none of them mentioned
four *extremely* important points:    (03)

  1. Trillions of dollars have been invested in legacy software that
     runs the world economy.    (04)

  2. That software will not be replaced for a long, long time.  In past
     experience, the lifetime of a large, mission-critical system can be
     40 years or more.  Its replacements must interoperate with it in
     as smooth a transition as possible.    (05)

  3. Every attempt to replace a critical, working system with a new
     one that could not interoperate during the transition has failed.
     The greater the discontinuity, the greater the ensuing disaster.    (06)

  4. Every successful introduction of new technology interoperates with
     the interfaces, infrastructure, and conventions of the old system
     during an extended, incremental, and evolutionary transition.
     The duration of that transition is usually *decades*, not years.    (07)

There was some discussion of these issues in the email list for the
ontology summit.  I'll relate some of it to the slides of the talks.    (08)

I'll start with Slide 19 in Barry Smith's talk:
> Candidate Upper Level Ontologies
> – Domain Ontology for Linguistic and Cognitive
> Engineering (DOLCE)
> – Suggested Upper Merged Ontology (SUMO)
> – Upper Cyc Ontology
> – Basic Formal Ontology
> – all reflections of recognized need for semantic
> standardization via upper level ontology    (09)

That may be true of what the DOLCE, SUMO, and BFO developers say.
But it is definitely *not* true of Cyc.  Doug Lenat has explicitly
said that the upper level is the *least* important.  He said that
*all* the detailed reasoning is based on axioms and definitions
at the mid level and lower levels.    (010)

The most important role of the upper level is to establish a common
set shared terms for types and relations.  The top level must be
very underspecified -- usually with little more than type-subtype
and disjoint-from links.  The lower level "microtheories" contain
the axioms and definitions needed for detailed reasoning.    (011)

Cyc has been developing their ontology for over 28 years (since 1984).
They discovered very early (by 1989) that a single, consistent,
monolithic ontology was unworkable.  Instead, they reorganized the
ontology by removing most of the detail from the upper level, and
pushing it down to the possibly *inconsistent* microtheories.    (012)

Furthermore, I claim that the same principles are true of BFO, as it is
actually used.  Following is an example.    (013)