Re: [ontolog-forum] Knowledge graphs by Google and Facebook

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:30:56 -0500
On 1/20/13 12:04 PM, Sjir Nijssen wrote:

HI Kingsley,

To avoid any misunderstanding I have great respect for people that try out new approaches like Virtuoso.

My +1 was only added after:

“ but we need to clarify things in this forum, not confuse people, or give them false information.” © Leo

Hence it is a matter of the length of the key, one variable or a combination of two form the determinant.

I believe it is high time that this community clarifies things wrt ontology.

I also have great respect for people that know the history, study the relevant parts and take what is useful and build upon that foundation if applicable; I agree with John that the SW community seems to prefer to ignore what other people have done a long time ago in conceptual modeling.

Yes, and I totally agree with John and understand (first hand) where he is coming from re. that criticism. That said, we also have to look forward, on the assumption that an increasing number of players from the Semantic Web community have learned some valuable lessons from their past errors.

That is why Ontology engineering, in my opinion and experience, is today where computer programming was in the early sixties.

No doubt about that.

I only disagree with John when he pitches Google, Facebook etc.. as examples of companies that have disregarded the essence of the Semantic Web vision etc.. Likewise, when he pits SQL against SPARQL :-)

Kingsley

Regards

Sjir Nijssen

Chief Technical Officer