Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies and individuals

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Richard Dapoigny <richard.dapoigny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:18:10 +0100
Le 11/12/2012 18:57, William Frank a écrit :
I believed that the point was that,

a domain ontology would, for most domains, especially scientific ones, need  to include references to special individuals,
Yes, but what is important is to unambiguously identify individuals from classes. For that purpose the identity criteria introduced in OntoClean is of utmost importance. For example:
like zero,  -> criteria of identity: its symbol

like the chemical elements, -> criteria of identity: its chemical symbol in the Mendeleev table

as individuals, like the earth,  -> criteria of identity: its name

..., like the U.S. Security and Exchange Commission -> criteria of identity: its reference label

(the source of many of the definitions in the ontology), and might likely also find it useful to include special representative individuals, like certain rock samples.

not that the ontology would be indistinquishable from a knowlege base for the domain, containing all the known facts about all the known individuals.

I agree with Hassan and probably most that calling these things TBox etc. was probably just a convenience for an email, not a standard.
I also fully agree: there is a crucial difference between a tool and a method.
Richard