Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Ontologies and individuals

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:14:22 -0500

Hans, et al,

Info Systems might not generally make that distinction, but Ontologies, and deployed ontology-based systems can, should, and often do.

The unique name of an individual within an ontology is generally artificial, in order to guarantee uniqueness. Namespaces, Microtheories, and other mechanisms supporting ontology modularity serve to extend that uniqueness beyond the bounds of the original ontology or module.  This is quite separate from any identifier used for the individual in any other system. Best practice IME is to map to identifier systems explicitly, using specific mapping predicates (for example, "socialSecurityNumber," "legalName," "vehicleIdentityNumber," "serialNumber," "XYZemployeeID"); those predicates can and should themselves be defined with explicit reference to the context in which they apply or authority which issues and uses them. Note, also, that this approach is essentially neutral to metaphysical questions about the individual/class distinction, as identifiers can be, and often are, treated as contextual for any thing in the ontology, and mapping identifiers for classes is often done in precisely the same way, using specific mapping predicates whose context/authority is made explicit (for example, "modelNumber," "cHEBIName," etc.).

This approach also eases things in deployed systems that are used to track (and perhaps eventually unify/identify) initially unidentified things using partial information.

Best,
Amanda