Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Ontologies and individuals

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:10:49 -0500

Good points, William. A related issue that comes up in IT systems is that of software “versioning” and when is a version a new individual vice a new version of the same individual. For some purposes they may be identical, but for others, not.

And for software objects representing real world entities you have to deal with the degree of coupling that might exist between the software object and the real world entity, as well as whether that coupling might be deliberately altered or duplicated for operational purposes, such as training or entertainment (Second Life comes to mind). In such cases individuals essentially become classes with multiple instances of the same individual, usually with at least some different state parameter values representing the different contexts in which the individual is being represented. In such “virtual worlds”, physical contiguity and temporal history don’t necessarily constrain individuation. Developers are left to their own devices as to how they maintain distinctions among individuals in these situations

Hans