Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Ontologies and individuals

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alexander Titov <av_titov@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:59:14 +0000
Dear John,

thank you very much for clarification. I am not sure I managed to express my question correctly.

[JS]
...you identify an individual by finding some symbol (such as a character string) that was assigned as the name of that individual. But you classify an individual by determining the names of types or classes of which it is a member.
[/JS]

Using your example I am trying to remove a 'name' from an individual. I think that I am trying to assign that symbol (such as a character string) to the name of the class (rather then to the name of the individual), and then classify my individual as being a member of that class. By doing this I am trying to 'identify' my individual by using classification (determined by the name of the class of which the given individual is a member).

Ultimately it may lead to individuals that have only classification relationships (and no names, no attributes, whatever...), but I am not sure whether I get any benefits from that.

Some of those classification relationships may be called 'identification' relationship (can I say that an 'identification' is a subclass/subtype of a 'classification' in that case?) and it might be a useful convention (in your words) to distinct such relationships from others of a given individual.

I also try to avoid assumption that an individual can be (or should be) uniquely identified and distinct from other individuals. I mean that in some cases it can be distinct, but in general case we might not be so lucky.

Alex

13 December 2012 14:14
Dear Alex,

That question is either trivial or profound.

AT

The trivial answer is that many logics make a sharp distinction between
individuals and types (or the classes or predicates associated with the
types).

If you have a logic that makes that distinction, then you identify an
individual by finding some symbol (such as a character string) that was
assigned as the name of that individual. But you classify an individual
by determining the names of types or classes of which it is a member.

But if you analyze the psychological, linguistic, and philosophical
issues, you'll find that there is no sharp distinction. What people
and other animals usually perceive are images of the types, and the
particular individual is inferred from the patterns of types and
the context (more patterns).

There are no sharp boundaries between images of distinct individuals,
images of the "same" individual at different occurrences, and images
of distinct, but similar individuals. All those distinctions must be
learned, and mistakes are common.

In short, the distinction between identification and classification
is a useful convention. Natural languages distinguish them, but NLs
are very flexible. They allow common nouns to be used as names
(Baker, Butler, Cook, Smith), and they allow proper names to be used
as common nouns (Xerox), verbs (Xerox), or adjectives (Xerox copy).

John

13 December 2012 10:25
Hi Matthew and Hans,

I think that my level of knowledge is not very high, so I do apologise in advance in case my questions and reasoning look to be stupid or inadequate.

I am not sure I understand why an 'identification' of an individual thing is considered separately from a 'classification' of an individual thing. Personally I see the 'identification' requirement as a necessity to find out (define) a class of individual things which has only one member - that particular individual thing. So far, I am trying to classify that individual thing in a specific way (so I can distinct that individual thing from any other similar individual things). Obviously, this classification is heavily depended on the context which defines boundaries of my work.

One of possible benefits (as I see it) - I don't need to worry and think about 'identification' at all.

The drawback - how easy will it be to define such classes for every individual thing upon necessity appears? Is it better than 'identification'?

I would be really grateful if any of you can recommend any articles or books might be useful to read in order to understand more on the subject: 'identification' vs 'classification'.

Alex

12 December 2012 23:04

Matthew,

I think the identifiers are of the individuals in the context of specific roles within a larger institutional/social context. They are not identifiers of the roles themselves, since obviously many, if not all, individuals have these same roles. Indeed, what identifiers of individuals are there that don’t have a specific context and perspective associated with them? That was why I made the comment “DNA notwithstanding” in my original post. By the way, DNA is not guaranteed to be a unique identifier, either – although evolution has endowed us with facial recognition capabilities that do a pretty good job. Maybe we will all live to see the day of a “context-free” individual identifier implanted in all individuals prior to birth? And what identifiers are inherent in individual entities that are not people? Maybe those laser-engraved serial numbers in some diamonds? Aren’t those put there by or under the aegis of a specific institution?

The point is that all identities of individuals, people or otherwise, that we use today have a specific and scope-limited institutional/collective context, whether they be names, serial numbers, telephone numbers, MAC addresses, IP addresses, email addresses, account numbers, URLs, VINs, or anything else. This is why we included the “entity primacy” principle in the net-centric principles we developed for NCOIC. Basically, the identity of anything is independent of any collective context and has primacy over any identity that any collective context might apply/assign to that entity. We recognize that entities generally don’t have obvious innate identities, per the discussion above. But we included the entity primacy principle to underscore the fact that any “citizen of the network” or collective, such as an enterprise or government, should not assume that the identity it assigns to an entity is the one true identity for that individual entity. Put differently, every individual entity will always have other identities in other contexts, and you need to be prepared to deal with that fact for whatever purposes you might interact with others about that individual entity. A more pragmatic application of the principle would be that every individual entity in your knowledge base should have at least two identities – the one “native” to your context and one that is recognized outside your context. More is often better (but not always). You can see this at work in just about any “eBusiness”. Typically you have a customer id specific to the business and an email address not controlled by that business. Most businesses identify their employees by multiple identifiers such as “name”, “taxid (SSN in US)”, “employee/badge number (not always the same)”, “email address”, or even “PC UserID”. They might also assign role identifiers such as “position code”, “pay grade”, “organization-id”, “project-id”, but these role identifiers are typically used only to qualify the individual, not to identify the individual.

Hans