Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies and individuals

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sandro Rama Fiorini <srfiorini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:25:13 -0200
Hi all,

Summing up the discussion, it seems that there is a general agreement that "ontologies can have individuals, but only in special cases". Guarino first pointed out that, if ontologies are to have facts about individuals, these facts must hold necessarily in the conceptualization. However, still that is not sufficient to qualify an individual as "special". My keyboard has keys necessarily, and that is not enough reason to include "Sandro's keyboard has keys" in an ontology about computers and computer parts.

It strikes me that, in most of the examples of cited in this thread, these special individuals are shared by the community. For instance, the Moon would be present in a ontology about climate because it is shared among all the community. This individual would be important to define concepts such as Moon Tide, Solar Eclipse, etc.  So, I would add that, besides been necessarily true, facts about specific individuals can be present in an (domain) ontology only if they are shared by the community. This is still no sufficient to qualify an individual as "special", but it seems to be a good heuristic to exclude some of those which are not.

Naturally, one can question the very idea of a shared individual, but we are already used to other versions of this question, aren't we? :)

cheers,
Sandro