Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Ontologies and individuals

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Dapoigny <richard.dapoigny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 22:18:33 -0800

On Dec 13, 2012, at 9:31 AM, Richard Dapoigny wrote:    (01)

> Le 13/12/2012 18:19, Alexander Titov a écrit :
>> Richard,
>>
>> am I right to understand this:
>>
>> > individuals as entities having no instance(s)
>>
>> as
>>
>> individuals as entities which don't (could not) have members? can we use
>'instance of' as synonym to 'member of'?
>>
>> In addition, how do you understand 'entity'? and 'instance' (in case I am
>wrong in my assumption above)?
>>
>> Alex
> Alex, don't confuse instances and member of. The last one has long been
>debated and refers to part-whole relations.    (02)

???  Member of is the classical name for the (inverse of the) relation between
a set and something in that set. This is (a) not even remotely debateable and
(b) nothing whatever to do with part/whole relations. AFAIK, the part/whole
relationshiop described by mereology is never referred to using "member" or any
grammatical variation. Also, "member" is virtually synonymous with "instance",
if one identifies classes as sets (which is commonly, though not universally,
done.)     (03)

> We may have this relation between individuals.
> Entity can be seen as some classes (here leaf classes) and instance refers
>either as the ":" relation if we are in a typed framework (e.g., object
>Oriented) or as teh "instanceOf" relation in first order theories.    (04)

And what *is* that "instanceOf" relation? Do you mean the relationship of an
entity to a set containing it, or to a class of which it is a member? Or a
concept which it instantiates? Or something else?    (05)

Pat    (06)

>>> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (08)