Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies and individuals

To: Hassan Aït-Kaci <hak@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:57:24 -0500
I believed that the point was that,

a domain ontology would, for most domains, especially scientific ones, need  to include references to special individuals, like zero,  like the chemical elements, as individuals, like the earth,  ..., like the U.S. Security and Exchange Commission (the source of many of the definitions in the ontology), and might likely also find it useful to include special representative individuals, like certain rock samples.

not that the ontology would be indistinquishable from a knowlege base for the domain, containing all the known facts about all the known individuals.

I agree with Hassan and probably most that calling these things TBox etc. was probably just a convenience for an email, not a standard.