Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies vs. Web Ontologies

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:53:27 -0400

Good points, Doug and David. I would add that in addition to the fact that context and differing perspectives on a given context by participating “agents” affect the interpretation of these mental constructs, institutional and operational contexts and assumed scope boundaries associated with those contexts affect the interpretation by participating agents as well. Much of the “dark web” exists inside specific institutional domains (i.e. “intranets”), and much discourse on the open internet also makes specific institutional context and scope assumptions (e.g., relevant language, naming conventions, postal codes, addresses, currencies, etc.).

Unfortunately, we humans are good at “sensing” such contexts implicitly, and find it cumbersome to be explicit about such contexts and scope assumptions – until they bite us.

Hans