Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies vs. Web Ontologies

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'William Frank'" <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:29:28 -0400
Pat,    (01)

Specifying the particular temporal frame of reference used is an example of
what I recommended in the other email I just sent. The important thing is to
be explicit about it, not that we need universal agreement on which frame of
reference to use. We can typically deal with a multiplicity of frames of
reference, even if they usually have differing scope. However, not all
frames of reference have unambiguous/definitive mappings to each other. So
we need to recognize that there may be situations when two or more agents
may not really be able to understand each other, even if the respective
frames of reference are explicitly cited. This is the modern equivalent of
the old map legends that stated something along the lines of "there be
monsters here".  :-)    (02)

Hans    (03)