Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies vs. Web Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:31:26 -0500
On Oct 24, 2012, at 11:39 AM, doug foxvog wrote:    (01)

> On Tue, October 23, 2012 20:22, Liam D. Gray wrote:
>> And event might be a thing described by date/time. But it kinda makes
>> sense for date/time to be metrics rather than things.
>
> It depends upon what "thing" means.  Aren't metrics something?    (02)

Yes, they are.    (03)

I would suggest that arguing about what a "thing" is, and any reference to
philosophical views or debates on the nature or scope of existence, is
counterproductive in this forum, and that anyone who has strong views on this
matter should submit them to an appropriate academic journal. As far as
ontologies are concerned, a "thing" is anything that you use a name or
expression to refer to. If you want to use a expression which denotes a metric,
then you are talking about metrics, and metrics are things in your ontology.
End of discussion.     (04)

Pat    (05)