Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 07:27:23 -0400
On 9/5/12 12:07 AM, doug foxvog wrote:
>> No, TimBL bootstrapped the WWW by deftly getting folks to coalesce
>> >around HTML. That doesn't mean the WWW is all about HTML,
>> >its just how it was bootstrapped.
> Sure.  Other formats are now in use.  One specifies in the URL what
> format one is using (http/ftp/...).  But defining one format that still
> is the most commonly used is the bootstrap that gave us the WWW.

>> >I beg to differ.
> Sure the file could be received.  But the semantics?  If the format were
> reverse Polish notation or value-attribute-entity or the first separator
> were a comma and the second a tab, could your system receive the
> content (as opposed to merely the characters) if you had no document
> specifying what the format was?
>
> -- doug foxvog    (01)

That's why we have mime types. HTTP Content Negotiation leverages mime
types and its even sophisticated enough to cater for quality of service
algorithms exchanged 'between' client and server.    (02)

Again, I don't think we are really speaking in alignment re. this
subject matter. Their's ample literature accessible from specs that
cover these matters.    (03)

Regards,    (05)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO