Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 07:58:59 -0400
On 9/4/12 7:48 AM, David Eddy wrote:
Kingsley -

On Sep 3, 2012, at 9:14 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

RDBMS is nice, but what about flat files, IDMS, IMS, M204, S2000, Adabase, etc, etc, etc., that are ALL in active use.

Likewise, most are accessible via one of the following: ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, OLE-DB, JDO, SOA Web Services, SOAP Services, RESTful interaction patterns e.g., via HTTP etc.. Once the data is accessible it becomes much more malleable etc..

I could be wrong here, but things like ODBC, JDBC, etc. are DATA access mechanisms, right?

Yes.

They do not access the software that produces the data (to the best of my knowledge).

They access the data that's encapsulated by code.

To repeat... I am asking if there is anything in the SW stack that helps deal with the (legacy) software.  I am NOT, repeat NOT, interested in the data, since efforts like LinkedData appear to be handling that facet.

My interest is open data access. Code is a form of data too, but you really need the kind of stuff that John Sowa and Co. are working on for that. The Semantic Web stack can contribute to the effort, but in no way is it an off the shelf nirvana for such an endeavor.

Let me try this..,. DATA is the finished product.  I am interested in the machine tools (software) that produces the finished product.

See my comments above.

I am more interested in unshackling the data.

What does "relational schema with base semantics" mean in your context?  I think the tricky word here is "base."

I am referring to ontology generation from an RDBMS schema.

I interpret this as stating that a RDBMS schema is an ontology?

It is a rudimentary ontology, yes.

Or an ontology can be generated/extracted from a RDBMS schema?

Yes to that also. Basically, you can map a rudimentary ontology to a more fine-grained and domain specific ontology.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Or is there a magic tool—it's a big world out there, I have no pretenses to know all magic tools—that automagically transforms a RDBMS schema into an ontology?

My overall question, of course, is if one has a 10-15-20+ year-old RDBMS schema that was designed & built long before "ontology" was applied to the systems world, how is it that said schema is an ontology or an ontology can be extracted/reverse engineered from a schema that looks more like a flat file?

You access the raw structured data, derive a basic ontology from the rdbms data dictionary / schema, then map the derived ontology to a more fine-grained domain specific ontology, then let a reasoner do the rest.

After all, it takes very little work to move a 1700 data element flat file into a 1700 column single table RDBMS.   It takes a LOT of work to move 1700 data elements into a well designed RDBMS.

Yes, but the RDBMS isn't dexterous enough for today's needs. Its too extensional. Today we need to exploit the intensional aspect of things. This is where Linked Data and the Semantic Web stack are very strong, once you get beyond the distractions of political power-plays and broken narratives.

Kingsley

- David

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen