Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:54:03 -0400
On 9/1/12 1:39 PM, David Eddy wrote:
Kingsley -

On Aug 31, 2012, at 12:42 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

But that's a misconception resulting from overzealous narratives peddled by those who just don't know better due to their general industry inexperience. R2RML [1] is an integral part of the stack re., legacy RDBMS integration.

Ok... we have connectivity from the legacy Silo(s) to LinkedData.

How do you KNOW what's in that legacy Silo?

Of course I do. How else would that work? Have you taken a look at any examples of Linked Data to RDBMS mapping? I am not talking about papers now, real stuff where you have data objects derived from a relational schema with base semantics in play that reflect the mundane semantics of an rdbms en route to enhancing the resulting view (be transient or materialized) using addition semantics e.g. owl:sameAs, owl:inverseFunctional, and other inference oriented semantics?

Have the columns you're interested in been profiled?

What does that mean? Could it mean groking foreign key relationships, for instance? Could it mean understanding RDBMS schema privileges scoped to user accounts (which by the way are literal and borderline useless once you add a network to the mix).

Real Integration Challenges:

1. reconcile identities - non account related data in the database (how do you reconcile the same customer entity across data in different tables and/or across different DBMS instances)

2. reconcile accounts and roles -- account related data in the database that controls object access and privileges (how you reconcile user and role accounts across different DBMS instances).

For all the criticisms aimed at projects from the Semantic Web stack, I am yet to see a link to a single alternative that actually isn't yet another silo in disguise.

I am throwing down the gauntlet to everyone. Show me the money! I can back up my claims with live links whenever.  I would to see the critics respond in kind. Simple rule: No Silos!

Kingsley

- David

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen