Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] Estimating number of all known fac

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 13:44:50 +0200

Hello Chris,    (01)

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 12:28:55PM +0200, Chris Menzel wrote:
> You can play skeptic, of course, and I suppose we have to acknowledge
> that we can't *know* with absolute Cartesian certainty that the situation
> in the box was clear, definite and determinate before we opened it, but the
> Newtonian hypothesis that it was works perfectly well for describing it and
> will remain so until there is more evidence of quantum effects in the
> macroscopic world beyond thought experiments.    (02)

Of course the question was more ontological than practical from the beginning.    (03)

What I did not know when I wrote my last mail is that is seems to be widely
accepted that the effect of quantum decoherence leads to very fast
establishment of a certain state in real world situations due to influence
of the environment. So you probably never have ontological problems when
making statements about a macroscopic real world system and you can forget my
last mail. Quantum decoherence does not remove the measurement or observer
problem from quantum physics but reduces it's impact.    (04)

Sorry if my arguments appeared destructive instead of constructive but the
question if a state of affairs can exist without one's perception of it
was put away a bit too fast for me.    (05)

Let's forget about quantum effects now...    (06)

Regards,    (07)

Michael Brunnbauer    (08)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer