Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] Estimating number of all known fac

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 22:36:35 -0400

Ed, Rich, et al:

Ultimately, facts are what institutions we trust, or are subject to the actions of, say they are. We tend to trust institutions and individuals whose statements/assertions corroborate with our own experience – but we clearly can’t verify every such statement/assertion ourselves. Hence, we rely mostly on institutions to establish facts for us, and to create frames of reference by which such facts can be described in an institution-wide scope context. Publication in scientific (or other) literature by itself does not establish facts. It is the reproducibility of what one party publishes/reports by other parties, and mediated by institutions that attest to the general trustworthiness and competence of the other parties, that determines what is a fact. Legal frameworks, rules of evidence and jurisdictions are a special case of this general process.

In some cases, facts are forced on us by institutions that control us or our environment, despite evidence to the contrary (which such institutions attempt to suppress). This often leads to some of us trying to escape the context in which these institutions control us or our environment, be it political emigration/amnesty (like the recent Chen case) or creation of new disciplines and supporting institutions (or like-minded groups of individuals – a weak form of institution that the Internet has made more accessible/feasible than in the fairly recent past).

Recall my earlier emails about this forum underestimating the role of institutions and institutional scope in ontologies. I like to think that this approach to determining what is a fact and how many of them there are is somewhere in between the notion of absolute truths independent of any individual or group of observers, and the “anything goes”, purely subjective and individualized interpretations of reality school of thinking. I also like to think that the history of the human race reflects a gradually increasing scope of such institutions across human society and fields of knowledge/endeavor (not without some occasional setbacks, however). Indeed, we have become so accustomed to this institutional “background” that we tend to take it for granted and actually tend to forget that it is there and that it is not necessarily universal or guaranteed to persist (without active efforts to make it so).  We also have to guard against institutional bias and assumptions of fact that are not really so because the associated institution(s) is not really universal in context and scope and has overlooked/turned a blind eye to countervailing perspectives and evidence (usually because of the institution’s perspective and focus on certain aspects of reality or theory). I think that’s really what Kuhn was talking about with respect to paradigms in scientific revolutions, but it’s not limited to science and rather applies to all fields of knowledge and human endeavor.

So appreciate the institutions that provide you frames of reference and collections of facts in areas important to you, and try to be explicit about which ones you are using when making an assertion of fact – or that you are basing the assertion on your own first-hand experience (in which case you need to try to be as exhaustively explicit regarding the surrounding context as possible so that others can attempt to recreate that experience).

Hans