Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] Estimating number of all known fac

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 08:15:05 -0400
On 5/24/2012 6:29 AM, Christopher Menzel wrote:
> I would say he "went far astray from the Tractatus in his later
> philosophy", but we've had that discussion before. :-)    (01)

He certainly went in a different direction.    (02)

But I stand by the conclusion at the bottom of slide 62:    (03)

goal.pdf
> [Tractatus] set the agenda for formal semantics in the 20th century.
> If it were adequate for language understanding and reasoning,
> then the HAL 9000 would be ruling the world today.    (04)

I think we can both agree with what LW said in the preface
to his _Philosophical Investigations_:    (05)

LW
> I should have liked to produce a good book.  It has not turned out
> that way, but the time is past in which I could improve it.    (06)

His later book was much more messy than his elegant first book.
But that's because the subject itself is messy.  You can't do
NLP successfully without coming to grips with the messiness.    (07)