Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] Estimating number of all known fac

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 10:40:37 +0200

Hello Matthew,    (01)

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:39:18AM +0100, Matthew West wrote:
> 1) can a "state of affairs in the world" exists without one's perception of
>it?
> MW: Of course, unless you do not believe in evolution. Otherwise the world
>did not exist before humans/life because there was no one to perceive it.
>Reality (facts) is not perception, reality is what perception is of.    (02)

The notion of a state of affairs that exists without perception or measurement
(realism) can become problematic. It has been proven experimentally that our
world cannot be described by a theory that is realistic and local - where
"local" means that effects cannot spread faster than the speed of light.    (03)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem    (04)

Most physicists today have given up realism in favor of localism. How much
this affects our ability to regard facts about macroscopic objects as
independent of observation is a matter of interpretation (or should I say
personal taste ? :-). You will probably find physicists who agree that the
fact that Schrödinger's cat is dead or the fact that it is alive is established
by opening the box.    (05)

Regards,    (06)

Michael Brunnbauer    (07)

--