Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: Google Knowledge Graph

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:16:27 -0400
John -    (01)

On May 17, 2012, at 7:56 AM, John F Sowa wrote:    (02)

>  But there is a huge difference between
> a search engine that looks for exactly those strings you are searching
> for and an "intelligent" search engine that second-guesses what it
> thinks you want.    (03)

Interesting how I hear more & more people expressing dissatisfaction
with Google results.    (04)

My Turing test for search...    (05)

Context is software source code so the corpus is very small, less
than 10 million lines.    (06)

The project "standard" abbreviation for "CODE" is "CD" which in
practice is most often used as a suffix.  (We're using IBM's "OF
Language" approach for PRIME-MODIFIER-CLASS words & "CD" is the class
word.  Folks seem to have forgotten "OF", but most programmers still
use it... witness Objective-C's example splitView:
shouldAdjustSizeOfSubview.)    (07)

Unfortunately since the "standards" are manually enforced, over the
years, variety happens.    (08)

When the database is expanded, an unknowing/new DBA uses "CDE" as the
abbreviation for "CODE."    (09)

Therefore searching for "-CD " (notice the space after "D"... this is
a suffix), with normal string search "-CDE " will NEVER be found.    (010)

A human, by painful experience, will discover that mostly "CD" is the
abbreviation, but in this particular corner "CDE" means the same thing.    (011)

As systems evolve into 3rd-4th-5th-nth generation staff, such search
anomalies get to be expensive.  I believe such decay would fall into
the "technical debt" bucket.    (012)

Since retrofitting "CDE" to "CD" is typically not an option (mass
spelling changes to production code is far too risky), I would
recommend an annotation approach that would say:  CODE = {CD, CDE}.
Search for one, get all.    (013)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (014)

781-455-0949    (015)