Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: Google Knowledge Graph

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 07:01:34 +0000
John:    (01)

[Disclosure: in order to be transparent, I am currently enamoured with
Neo4J and think it has a lot to offer.  I have no formal business
relationship or vested commercial interest in any promotion however]    (02)

Their current approach is based on a feedback mechanism, combined with a
feedback loop that tracks preferences in a voting system.  I did a talk
about this
here:http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2009-develop/flash-builder-4-advanced-ti
ps-and-tricks/    (03)

The approach they seem to be moving towards is related to my earlier post
on this list advocating Neo4J for graphs and ontology.   The native
persistence and traversal models are very aligned with many of your own
theories and hypothesis.  I find Adam Pease's SUMO work ideally aligned
with the persistence and API's of Neo4J.    (04)

Think of "Things" as ontological things and strings as relationships
between them.  I admit the current implementations are a bit primitive
when it comes to discerning transitive vs. intransitive or symmetrical vs
asymmetrical but I think a good ontologist can customize the traversal
mechanisms to adjust.  Having said that, I have no practical experience
with Googles technology.  neo4J OTOH seems to be ideal for a lot of the
conversations on this list.  As you all know, I do not bestow
recommendations on this topic very lightly. Neo4J could use a little
better stereotyping around N-ary relationships, especially in situations
like A-[loves]->b.  Does this means for al A-B that is true; all B->A is
true?  Not define currently.    (05)

I would like to propose a joint thursday seminar with myself and someone
from Neo4J to jointly present the new grapdb technology to this group to
solicit feedback on this topic.  It may be on the money or maybe just
close, but IMO it is a worthy topic of conversation and worth a thursday
talk.    (06)

I also want to work with the two groups to understand how we can develop a
framework around Neo4J for ontology research.    (07)

Duane Nickull
Consulting and Contracting; Proven Results!
i.  Neo4J, Java, LiveCycle ES, Flex, AIR, CQ5 & Mobile
b. http://technoracle.blogspot.com
t.  @duanechaos
"Don't fear the Graph!  Embrace Neo4J"    (08)

On 12-05-16 10:37 PM, "John F Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (09)