Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 15:06:59 -0400
On 4/8/2012 1:41 PM, David Eddy wrote:
> Let me offer a smidge of context... if I'm talking to a technical/data
> person at a Fortune 500 shop & they tell me they're a Database X shop, I
> instantly know I'm not talking to the right person.  The correct answer
> is "Yes."  We have it—DB2, IDMS, M204, S2000, IMS, Oracle, Sybase & of
> course the Mother of all databases the $2M Excel spreadsheet—pretty much
> anything & everything.    (01)

I sent my previous note before seeing this one.  And it emphasizes
another reason why the Semantic Web has been a failure.    (02)

The SW is dominated by academics who have never seen an actual DB shop.
Their idea of interoperability is to force everyone to adopt a solution
that is provably decidable and totally unusable.    (03)

> This background is only to point out that legacy silos are here to stay...
> eventually they do fade away & get unplugged, but far more often additional
> layers are wrapped around existing silos.
>
> So the SEMANTIC CONNECTIVITY challenge becomes... [drum roll...]  How do
> I know what I'm putting into the pipe at Point A when I want to tap a
> legacy source?
>
> And ... the data source is likely not webified/HTTP enabled.    (04)

Yes.  That is a good description of the real world.  Those issues were
well known and well understood when Tim B-L proposed the SW in 1994.    (05)

Unfortunately, the SW got hijacked by people with two irrelevant
goals:  use XML for everything, and show that their PhD dissertations
on decidability weren't wasted.    (06)