Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 12:28:42 -0400
On 4/7/12 6:08 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:

Dear David and Kingsley,

Kingsley is right in principle at this time in the technology though, David.  ODBC is widely available, and can be installed automatically by a program that needs it.  So adding web links to spreadsheets in web pages does sound kind of conceptually attractive.  So his statement of the problem is sound, IMHO.  It’s a good idea to ponder.

Kingsley, do you do that kind of work?

Yes.

We've developed and deployed ODBC Drivers for all major RDBMS engines for 20 years. One problem that ODBC never addressed was the ability to extend data access beyond RDBMS engines. It also had a degree of platform specificity, so Windows always had the richest collection of ODBC compliant applications. I've written some posts [1][2][3][4] about the data connectivity and platform specificity shortcomings of ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, and OLE-DB.

It might be useful to hear more about what services and or products you offer in some way related to that interesting concept you raised?

Our Virtuoso product includes ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, OLE-DB, and XMLA drivers. Thus, you only need to install the client en route to interacting with public or private HTTP networks via SQL which has been extended to include SPARQL. For instance, you have access to the entire LOD cloud (and more)  via tools such as Excel, Access, Google Spreadsheet etc.. You can do the similar things with Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Twitter etc.. all playing the role of Tables in a massive distributed database.

Links:

1. http://goo.gl/ovqPL -- post about the data access and connectivity short comings of ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, and OLE-DB .

2. http://goo.gl/jhDcV -- simple Guide for Google Spreadsheet Data Imports via SPARQL (showcasing use of Web to enhance one of the most powerful ODBC utility demos).

3. http://goo.gl/LmFR5 -- another variant of the above