Re: [ontolog-forum] metaphysis, semantics and the research program of on

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:01:22 -0400
As Rich noted, there is a blind spot here regarding other disciplines and
perspectives that drive semantics and ontologies. In my experience with many
real world systems, most of which are very specific (and unfortunately,
implicitly so) to certain institutional contexts, the issue of awareness of
those contexts (or lack thereof) and the differences between and among them
are the key interoperability barriers. In addition to formal institutional
contexts and scope, there are informal institutions and social contexts
(e.g., this forum is an example of a middle ground - there is some formality
of getting added to the forum mailing list, but minimal operating rules and
a modest amount of social pressure and sanction), which often create their
own semantics, somewhat to the consternation of "outsiders" who have
difficulty communicating with that group (can you speak "texting" or
tweet?). So where is the formal study of the ecosystem of organizations and
groups, how they form and interact, and how they establish contexts,
perspectives on those contexts, and associated frames of reference? Yes, we
get some of this in social psychology and organizational theory, some in
political science, and a bit in business school, but not as a comprehensive
field of study. Yet where do the most of the world's problems come from?
It's from behaviors in group contexts and as self-identified members of said
groups and institutions (tribes?), not as isolated individuals (we generally
have adequate, if not perfect, institutions for dealing with individual
behaviors, at least in my opinion).    (01)

As Rich pointed out, the previous discussion was trying to highlight the
issue of context for the applicability of an ontology and relating
ontologies to each other. We certainly could use an ontology (ies?) for
describing context and the scope of a context, including modalities and
reality types that the context might include. That certainly would provide a
more formal basis for determining whether an appropriate ontology is being
used in a given context, and what its limitations might be (danger - there
be dragons here  :-) ). The SCOPE model is an initial attempt to identify a
set of context dimensions and associated scope values for characterizing the
differences in scope and perspective among systems and institutions (or
individuals, if need be). I'd certainly welcome any effort to improve/extend
it and turn it into a formal ontology(ies).     (02)

Hans    (03)